Coach catch up!

Close up image of a black coaching jacket, black coaching mask and two black coaching gloves. In the middle of the image is a black box with ‘coach catch-up’ over it in two lines in light black (ok, grey, but basically it’s all pretty black!). Hey so there’s a black dog walking down the middle of the road in a town in whihc everything is painted black and in which all the lights are off. A car comes barrelling down the middle of the road but sees the dog in time to avoid it. How can this be? Over to you…

We checked in with a few of our coaching team to see what they're doing to keep active, fit and in practice until training can resume. Here's what they're up to!


Miya

I've found being active definitely helps with the lockdown, whether that's going for run, practising footwork, or working out at home (if you're not sure where to begin there are many resources on Youtube, as well as free apps!). And of course I've loved getting my family into Olympic fencing! Catch the Olympic replays here! The FIE Fencing Channel on Youtube also has loads of high level fencing to watch, and some other fantastic channels include CyrusofChaos and Olympic Foil (sorry epee and sabre folks!)


 Dan C

I have really found trail running and bushwalking a great outlet during lockdown! It's been a great time to connect with the land and see how great these blue mountains are!

Nightfall. A magnificent sunset sweeps over the darkening land. We’re up high, the pale sky is filled with a sweeping wing of rosy orange cloud while a stretch of inky could lines the horizon. From the lower left a rustle of gumleaf tips faintly catch the lowering light. A triptych of images, the same view over time. The cloudwing intensifying in each. Ahh, wonderful!


Imogen

In this weather I can’t resist sitting in the sun sharpening my refereeing skills and tactical thinking by watching and re-watching fencing bouts. The Olympic replays on 7plus have been great and the variety of fencing styles and fencing bodies has been enlightening. I’ve also been keeping as strong and flexible as I can by following my physio program, which I (ideally) do three times a day.

Two images side by side. On the left, a close up of a sheet of paper with a logo of diamonds of different hues of blue, and on the paper is written physio exercises with cute little hand drawn stick figures to show how they’re done! On the right, an image of a lovely new ipad in a cool case resting on Imogen’s lap as she sits outside in a backdrop of green trees watching the Olympic women’s epee final on replay. Her left hand rests lightly on the keyboard. Ah, so chill!


alessandra

I've been trying to make the most of sunny days and simple things! I do a strength and fitness circuit with a little setup I have in the garage. Charting my sessions in my training journal helps me see when it's been too long between them! As well as being a fan of analogue things, I also like useful tech – I've started wearing a heart-rate monitor paired with an app while I do my circuit and I've found the real-time feedback unexpectedly motivating!

Two images side by side. On the left a black rubber tile with three crosses of white masking tape on it hung from a tree in a garden where there are many beautiful large trees. An arm with fencing glove holding a pistol grip foil comes in from the right to hit the tip of the weapon to the top left cross. White text in the bottom left corner, stacked like an addition equation, reads ‘Rubber tile from Bunnings + masking tape + friendly tree + sunny day = point practice’. On the right, and shot from above is a collection of things resting on a tread-plate gym step – a notebook with a brown craft cover and ‘training’ written in black up the right hand side, a brown and a green pen, an iphone with the Polar app open showing training data, and a Polar heart-rate monitor on its strap lying across the top. White text in the bottom left corner reads ‘analogue and digital training helpers!’



Comments

Popular Posts